May 27, 2009

Sweet Home ...Alabissippi?!

While I have always considered Mississippi to be "home", my parents somewhat recent move to the Mobile, Alabama area has caused me to pause when telling people where "home" is. Growing up in the Marine Corp always left me telling people where I was from versus where I was at that time. It was as though people wanted to know if you were one of them, or were you just a visitor in that place. I think that it is just human nature to desire to be a part of something that is bigger than themselves. A history, a past and a future. I know that our daughter may struggle with the concept of "home" even more than this old military brat. Will her home be Ethiopia, will it be wherever we are, or will it also be Mississippi/Alabama? Is home just what you have always known...or is home where the heart is...or is home where you are physically from...or is it so much more than any of those things. Although Mississippi will always hold a special place in my heart, I am so thankful that whatever earthly coordinates I most closely relate to, I know that my true home is with my Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I understand completely! We are "home" from the mission field to celebrate the life of my Gram, the Christian heritage in my life, as she danced into eternity this past week. Technically, this is where I have grown up, but the mission field has captured my heart. Wherever we go for His glory, becomes our home as I pour my heart into the place. Yet, a detachment remains in a small corner of my life, when I step into eternity, I now that corner will be filled in my forever home.

Blessings from this missionary mommy,
Sarah Dawn