January 15, 2009

First Trimester

In many ways, I am finding that adopting is very much like a typical pregnancy. We have already conceived the child in our hearts, but the first trimester can really take a toll physically with all of the exhaustion and nausea. With adopting, the toll is in the form of paperwork...and more paperwork...and more paperwork. Exhaustion comes in the form of making sure that everything has been signed and filled out properly. Sometimes I think, "Oh my word, what were we thinking!?" (Just like I did when we found out we were pregnant with each of our biological children.) And other times, I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I think about every possible detail and scenario imaginable. What will she look like. Will I be the best mom for her that I can be. Will I finally get a child that has my curly hair? (Odds are good!) Our first steps have included completing a "mini" application back in September and recently a "formal" application. It is currently en route via Iraq for some signatures from Doug. The next step closer to getting out of this trimester will be to complete our Dossier. We are anticipating that to be completed and sent off by the end of May at the latest. Then, we wait and rest in God's arms for a few months. I think that will be much like the "feel good" stage of the second trimester. Then the third trimester. Knowing who your child is and having to wait to pass court and travel. The stage when you are so sick of being pregnant and just want to hold your baby and to know that it was all worth while. The time when you get to share your child with the world. The time when you get to show the world what a miracle God has done. I hope that the world will see God's beauty in our story. The beauty in how God can do anything!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Jennifer what great news!!! I emailed you last week I hope you got it. Love ya and miss ya.
Michelle